Sunday, May 22, 2011

Planning (and building) some LDEs

CW Cabin at Hinton, WV

When I first came to the Atlanta area, I stumbled across an Alkem Scale Models kit for the C&O standard brick cabin and bought it since that's what stood at the west end of Hinton, WV. I figured I'd throw together a diorama / LDE with the crossovers at the west end of the yard. I pored over period photos of the location (fortunately, for modeling the C&O such photos are easy to find thanks to the C&O Historical Society and its publications) and came up with the design seen below.


Left is west, right is east. The track nearest the tower (top, in this image) is the yard lead - yard would be off to the right. The other two are the mainlines.

I started building the benchwork for this segment in early 2010 and soon had some track down as you see below. I was still in a small apartment in Atlanta, so it didn't get much beyond that at the time.


Since moving to Woodstock, I have a modest basement for the layout. Below is the current location of the CW Cabin segment, wired up and ready to be integrated into the layout once I reach the point of tying it into the rest.




No comments: