Monday, January 9, 2012

Movin' on around the bend

I started framing up the east yard (referred to as the "old yard") at Quinnimont. This segment is a bit under 8 feet long, and represents about half the yard.



As you see, I have a breaker panel on the wall to contend with. Out of the pic to the right, there's also a door. I decided to put a bend in the layout and provide enough room to get in behind to the breaker as well as to open the door without having to move segments of the layout.

Next, I need to build the other end of this yard (connects to the near end in the above pic) then tie it into the rest of the room. Then I'll be about out of space and need to move to a bigger basement... or add a second level.

2 comments:

Specter3 said...

So is there a track plan to this madness or are you just jamming in as much of the prototype as possible?

Keep it up. At least someone is making progress. Im in the collecting phase of life.

Jon Myers said...

In a way, there is but it's very fluid. I start with reproductions of actual C&O track charts then try to recreate as accurately as possible for the space I have. I draw up the track plan one segment at a time, then fine-tune it once the benchwork and subroadbed is in place.

I should post a "tech" article about my track planning methods in greater detail.