Sunday, January 25, 2015

That doesn't go there... or: Square peg, round hole.

Hmm. I don't think that goes together that way.


I know, I'll just use a saw and make it fit.


Earlier I mentioned the basement of the new house is shaped a little oddly, and the east end of Quinnimont yard would not fit without some re-arrangement. I thought about just shortening the yard by a couple feet to make the turn, but I've decided to bolt it together at a 90 degree angle and make the tracks round the corner. There wasn't any track down here yet anyway. Shown in the picture is some 20" radius Atlas sectional track approximately where the westbound mainline will be. This does shorten the yard slightly, but not by as much as keeping it in a straight line would have.


Oh, and here's another picture. The Piney Creek branch has track across the New River!


For space savings, I have represented this span with two through-truss kits, whereas the prototype has three through-truss segments of two designs, plus a deck girder at one bank.

No comments: